Jaewook (“JK”) Ryu - ASSOCIATE
> I.P. Professionals > Jaewook (“JK”) Ryu
JK joined Innovation Counsel as a patent attorney in 2019. JK’s practice focuses primarily on the preparation and prosecution of patent applications relating to mechanical and electro mechanical designs including, but not limited to, Micro Electro Mechanical System (MEMS), semiconductor & thin film processing, and LCD & LED device. JK has a strong ability to recognize complex devices and their distinction over the prior art. In doing so, he is able to greatly assist clients in an attempt to maximize their protective subject matter.
Originally from Seoul, Korea, JK studied mechanical engineering at Purdue University. There, he earned his B.S. and M.S. degrees and focused his thesis on pulsed laser micro-machining of thin film for fabricating micro-sensors. After completing his studies he returned home to Seoul to complete his military duty. At the same time, he worked for Korea Institute of Science and Technology (“KIST”) as a research engineer, specialized in bio & polymer MEMS.
At KIST, he designed and fabricated various micro-actuators and micro-sensors using ionic polymer metal composite, polypyrrole, PDMS, and cardiac muscle cell. He was an author of around 20 journal and conference papers, which have been cited around 500 times. After working 10 years at KIST as a research engineer, JK returned to the United States and earned his J.D. from Case Western Reserve School of Law.
Mr. Ryu can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Admitted to District of Columbia Bar
- Registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D.
- Purdue University School of Engineer, M.S. and B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
- Jaewook Ryu, Jinhyuk Kim, Sungil Chu, Seunghun Lee, Sung Moon, “Fabrication and Mechanical Characterization of Micro Electro Mechanical System Based Vertical Probe Tips for Micro Pad Measurements,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, Part 1- Regular Papers, Oct. 2007, Vol 45, No. 12, 9238-9243.
- Jaewook Ryu, Jungyul Park, Byungkyu Kim, and Jong-Oh Park, “Design And Fabrication Of A Largely Deformable Sensorized Polymer Actuator”, Journal of Biosensors & Bioelectronics, November 2005, Vol. 21, Issue 5, 15, 822-826.
- Jungyul, Jaewook Ryu, Seungkyu Choi, Eunseok Seo, Jae Min Cha, Seokchang Ryu, Jinseok Kim, Byungkyu Kim, and Sang-Ho Lee, “Real Time Measurement Of The Contractile Force Of Self-Organized Cardiomyocytes On A Hybrid Biopolymer Microcantilever,” Analytical Chemistry, May, 2005, Vol. 77, 6571-6580.
Jaewook Ryu, Senghwan Jung, Seung-Ki Lee, Byungkyu Kim, “Thickness Characteristics And Improved Surface Adhesion Of A Polypyrrole Actuator By Analysis Of Polymerization Process,” The Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers, Oct. 2005, Vol. 19, No 10.
- Jinseok Kim, Byungkyu Kim, Jaewook Ryu, Yongwon Jeong, Jungyul Park, Hyeon cheol Kim, Kukjin Chun, “Potential of Thermo-Sensitive Hydrogel as an Actuator,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, July, 2004, Vol. 44, 5764-5768.
- Jinhyuk Kim, Sungil Chu, Seoho Won, Jaewook Ryu, Gyetae Kim, Sung Moon, “Fabrication and Characteristics of MEMS Vertical Type Probe Tip for Micro Sized Pads Measurement”, IEEE MEMS 2007, 283-286.
- Jaewook Ryu, Jungyul Park, Seungkyu Choi, Eunseok Seo, Jae Min Cha, Seokchang Ryu, Jinseok Kim, Sang-Ho Lee, and Byungkyu Kim, “Contractile Force Measurement Of Cardiomyocytes Using A Hybrid Biopolymer Microcantilever Array”, International Microprocesses and Nanotechnology conference, Tokyo, Japan, October 2005, 208-209.
- Jaewook Ryu, Jungyul Park, Seok Yun, Byungkyu Kim and Jong-Oh Park, “Design and Fabrication of a Largedeformed Smart Sensorized Polymer Actuator”, International Conference on Intelligent Robots and System, Sendai, Japan, 2004.
- Byungkyu Kim, Jaewook Ryu, Younkoo Jeong, Younghun Tak, Byungmok Kim, and Jong-Oh Park, “A Ciliary Based 8-Legged Walking Micro Robot Using Casted IPMC Actuators”, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Sept. 2003, pp 2940-2945.
- Byungkyu Kim, Byung Mok Kim, Jaewook Ryu, In-Hwan Oh, Seung-Ki Lee, Seung-Eun Cha, and Jungho Pak, “Analysis Of Mechanical Characteristics Of The Ionic Polymer Metal Composite (IPMC) Actuator Using Cast Ion-Exchange Film”, SPIE-Smart Structures and Materials, Electroactive Polymer Actuators and Devices (EAPAD), July, 2003, V. 5051, pp. 486-496.
- Jaewook Ryu, Yunkoo Jeong, Younghun Tak, Byungkyu Kim, and Jongoh Park, “Cilliary Motion Based 8-legged Walking Micro Robot Using Casted IPMC Actuators”, International Symposium on Micromechatronics and Human Science, Oct, 2002, pp. 1-7.
- X. Xu, J.W. Ryu, D.A. Willis, “Pulsed laser machining of thin ﬁlms for microsensor development” Proceedings of the International Congress on Applications of Lasers and Electro-Optics, Vol. 88, Laser Microfabrication, Laser Institute of America, Orlando, FL, 1999, pp. 160–166.
- Park Suk Ho, Kim Jin Seok, Park Jung Yul, Rho Duk Moon, Kim Byung Kyu, Ryu Jaewook, “Hybrid bio actuator with a body made of polydimethylsiloxane by using a molding aligner”, Korea Institute Of Science And Technology, March 16, 2007, (KR 1006990750000).
- Park Suk Ho, Kim Jin Seok, Park Jung Yul, Rho Duk Moon, Kim Byung Kyu, Ryu Jaewook, “3-dimensional micro molding aligner capable of easily forming structure at both sides of bio-actuator and method for preparing bio-actuator capable of operating without separate battery or outer energy source using the same”, Korea Institute Of Science And Technology, May 25, 2007, (KR 1007240190000).
- Byungkyu Kim, Seonghak Lee, Jaewook Ryu, Younghun Tak, Taesong Kim and Jong-Oh Park “Micro capsule type endoscopic robot”, Korea Institute Of Science And Technology, June 28, 2005, (US 6,911,004).